Friday 28 March 2014

Anniversary...

 I attended a 50th Anniversary for this thing the other night.  At first it was one of those things I said yes to, which I really had no intention of enjoying, though I did believe that it was sort of cool being honored at it and all that heritage sort of stuff.
  Then as the date drew closer, and more specifically, at the moment I was getting ready for the event, it struck me; it really is an important evening.  Not just because I knew I would get cake, which is important and a treat in itself, but because the the purpose behind the evening mattered.
  My ancestors went through a lot of stuff, and I mean a BIG, great, astoundingly hard a lot of stuff, for the life I lead.  It is truly a big deal to honor those who came before you.  And though it is not a crime, nor a disrespect to blaze your own trail; remembering and honoring those who came before you, those you loved and who are a deep seeded part of you, is a beautiful moment to pause.
  I worry about my generation, and most definitely have concern for those that follow because there is a self-made declaration, a self-obsessed, materialistic lack of respect and reflection for the things that truly matter; which by the way, don't happen to be tangible things at all.
  I learned that hardship was common, that there is always beauty in the ashes, and that, surprise surprise, hard work is the backbone of building something that lasts.  That there is always hope, a will to survive, and a sentimental place for where you come from.
  History teaches us that we are survivors, those who persevere, and an ingenious creation that can carry in our hearts and breed that which matters most; love.
  I was proud to stand next to my grandmother, because I came from her.  She is a part of me as much as I am a part of her, and I humbly admit I have much to learn from her.  And if that is true, what does it say of those who came before her who I never had a chance to learn from?  

HERE'S WHAT I KNOW

 Where we come from isn't old fashioned, out of date, or so far in the past that it is no longer relevant.  No, I argue that it is vital to who we are and where we are going, for without it we wouldn't be, and I believe we owe a respect to where we've come from whether we agree with it or not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment