Friday 5 July 2013

Favorite Things

Here's What I Know

  It's Hot!  Yes, indeed!  Summer has arrived and she's showing off!  
  I'm thankful for so many things this week, but as I adjust to this new and even more crazy than before summer schedule, I feel I have squandered most of the opportunities placed in my path to enjoy.
  I'm not complaining, trust me.  I am, however, feeling slightly remorseful that I can't take it all in and savor it.  You know what I'm saying, right?  I want the time to hit pause, take a mental picture, to make every moment of this summer count.
  So in the spirit of slowing down, here's this week's Top....

Top....

~I was stopped at a train crossing yesterday morning.  It was the most peaceful moment of 
  the day, crazy right?  Usually when you're stopped by those flashing lights your first 
  thought is hurry, hurry, hurry, how long could these winding cars actually be.  Well, I 
  wanted those stacked cars to go on for miles.  I wanted to spin tales of where all those filled 
  containers would finally come to rest and to whom they belonged and from where they 
  began their journey.  
  Forced moments of complete stillness are equally as effective at recharging us as those 
  we choose on our own, we only have to allow the moment to take us away!

~my strawberry plant is in bloom and turning those fanciful berries into jewel toned 
   juiciness!  So pleasing to the eye and the tongue!

~impromptu dinner with friends!  Any reason to get out of town is fantastic, but meeting 
   friends, eating tasty summer fare and indulging in a movie to cap off the night....love it!

~I dragged my poor and accommodating princes to work with me this week.  I wasn't sure 
  how it was all going to work out, but you know what?  It couldn't have been fun, in fact, I 
  know for certain it wasn't.  But they didn't grumble, they chipped in to help, and they had 
  smiles on their faces and an eagerness in their eyes when they knew we had to do it all over 
  again the next day.  Truly thankful!! So much so, I've got the best babysitters ever lined up 
  to hang out with them next week!  But the best bit is that they learned something, they 
  gave of themselves selflessly, they were patient, and it will, fingers crossed, teach them the 
  value of hard work in the future!

~Wimbledon....it's been upset central this year.  I'm always one to cheer on the underdog, 
  even if they are playing my favorite, so obviously, in spite of disappointment, this suits me 
  just fine! I promised last week I wouldn't go on and on so I'll simply say, this tournament, to  
  me, is purely a magical delight!

~I take crap pictures.  It's a truth, not a personal slam.  
  This was the view from my back deck last night.  Pretty ridiculous, right?  Something 
  magical happens at that time of night.  Indulge me a minute, please!! but I almost expect 
  the tree fairies to come out, rest on my knee and share a lazy, liquid, inspiring, conversation  
  about all mine and their favorite things.  (I did ask for your indulgence!) 
  It has always been my favorite time of day; the hour before night when day is clinging 
  to the clouds that hang above her.  It does something to me: it calms, refreshes, enables 
  reflection, and reminds me I'm not alone in this world.  It turns my mind to liquid thought 
  and I almost believe I could fly.  I think that feeling is called HOPE and who doesn't love 
  that feeling?


  It was a good week in my small corner.  How about yours?  Can you make a list of all those things you're thankful for? Even in the midst of tragedy and unfortunate circumstance, like my friends and family battling to clean up the mess the Alberta flood waters left behind, there is something to be thankful for.  A helpful neighbor.  A cool drink of clean water.  A smile to encourage a weary spirit.  A clean bill of health.  Or a simple sunset that reveals the promise of tomorrow.
  
  Happy Friday, all you beautiful folks!  I'm thankful for you, that for some reason you tune in here each week and inspire me to do my best to inspire you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment