Friday 2 August 2013

TOP TEN

1~ fresh bread.  I had a productive week, even if I've been feeling somehow off and
     unpredictably weird  lately.  There is something tender and comforting about watching
     that tasty treat not only rise but turn a delicious golden hue in the heat of the oven.
2~ chilly evenings and even cooler nights.  I'll confess I'm not thrilled it has happened so 
      early in the season, but I love having to bury my nose beneath the covers to stay warm.
3~ honest words.  It's hard to hear objective and constructive criticism, even when you've 
     asked for it.  There is more good than harm though in this instance; we can grow, do 
     better, develop ourselves, and move on in the right direction.
4~ sending my princes to camp.  Little Bear has been and returned and my Giant Child is 
     leaving in the next few days.  There is no trepidation in their eyes as they prepare, there 
     is only excitement.  They are brave and I admire their joyful anticipation so, so much.  It
     is so much easier to send them off knowing there is no fear in their little hearts.  In fact, 
     when Little Bear returned I was worried; he was sad after the initial hugs and cuddles; he 
     wanted to stay longer!  Camp is AWESOME!
5~ I love when something old is new again! I've got a beautiful old desk and a side table 
     that are begging for some TLC.  I'm planning on refinishing them in the fall when I have
     a few spare minutes....but seeing them sitting there waiting...I may scrape together some
     time sooner than later!
6~ my garden.  I spent the afternoon digging in the dirt and that dirt, well, it's producing.....
     such a rewarding feeling!
7~ the warmth of a fire.  I love a fire on a cool summer evening, and though I'm not at all 
     pleased that summer has taken a very early turn towards chilly, I am thrilled for the 
     quiet, relaxed and calming effect watching those beautiful flames flicker induces in me!
8~fresh blueberries and strawberries.  I've indulged in these beauties to the point of an 
    aching stomach.  They are so good and not only delicious but enticing to the eyes as well!
    I made a crazy good blueberry cake yesterday morning.  It tasted like summer and looked
    so filled with love that it was gobbled up in no time!  Summer fresh food is a temptation I'll
    accept! 
9~ driving with the windows down!  Truly one of my favorite things. Warm air, happy 
     tunes, hair chaotically swirled into knots by the wind.....that right there is summer at its 
     finest!
10~ a parade?  Okay, I'll be honest...it's not one of my favorites, but it does make everyone 
        else excited, and that energy is contagious.  I may secretly get into it.....I guess I'll have 
        to wait and see and maybe get back to you when it's all over!

  We're all busy.  I know, I know....broken record here!  But it's true.
  Summer is gone all too quickly in my corner of the world.  Soon I will be hauling boxes from the top of the closet to replace the summer wear for heavier knits and cozier cottons.  Until that moment I want to take it all in, soak up the sun, embrace the easy-breezy summer feel. I will do that by cruising with my windows down, the radio turned up, shielding my eyes with a shiny pair of sunnies, slap on a hat to stop the tangles in my hair.....yep, summer to me is that simple carefree feeling!

Happy Friday everyone!
Cheers to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment