Monday 22 October 2012

Memories for a Monday 

 My favorite time of the day to run is at night, more specifically the late evening when the sky has already darkened.  There are several reasons.  The first is, I think my body and mind are too tired to fight each other and they harmoniously sync themselves into the rhythm of my feet.
  The second is, it's more peaceful.  I will elaborate on this one slightly.  Since I was a young girl I have always loved the night sky.  I can look up and see its endless expanse and in a significant way I understand my place in creation and I feel a reciprocal communion in that.  I love the air at night; it smells and tastes different, and for some odd reason I can breathe much easier.  My mind empties more fully, and new ideas, thoughts, and solutions pour in.
  I don't often have the chance to run at night.  My schedule prefers when I sneak it in in the morning, but the funny thing is I don't love to run in the morning.  But I do love to run in the evening.
  I argued back and forth with myself because it had been a very busy day.  I'm tired-but you should still get out there.  I don't really feel like it-but you will once you get dressed.  My knee hurts-SO...it's still going to hurt after! Ha!
  It was a game, and in the end my running shoes managed to be laced to my feet, my ugly sweats protected me from the chill, and I was layered up and wired up to go!
  
  It was great, it always is.  And I never regret going, that is also something I told myself before I hit the pavement.

  As I ran, I stumbled across a lovely picture I'd like to share!

  I chose to meander last night.  I followed a path where the slope favored my messed up knee, and along the way I passed a school yard.  It was the type of school yard where children run, climb, and squeal with delight in the sunlight hours.
  But this night, there were no delighted children, and the single light that lit the area revealed peaceful tranquility.  The slide was deserted, the climbing wall stood tall and empty, and the swaying bridge was still.  
  The swings, however, were occupied.
   Two backsides faced me.  A girl with a hat that covered long hair that fell down her back sat on the left.  A boy, also in a cap, wearing shorts in spite of the chilled air was next to her.  Their gangly youthful legs pushed them subtly as they hovered above the cool damp pea gravel, but their hands connected them and moved them together back and forth and side to side in unison.  They were looking at each other.  I imagined they were sharing a smile, that perfect sort of smile the moment would have required.
  
  My heart sighed and I outwardly smiled at the sight.  I know I am hopeless, but through my eyes, this picture was so filled with hope!
  My mind began to wander.  Do I remember those days of infatuation, when sitting on swings in the early night hours were vital to my developing friendship, crush, or relationship?
  The simple, sweet moments when the silence of the night became a blanket that wrapped you and your partner into your own world.  The time when words mean more, when emotions are ripe, when courage is emboldened.
  Swinging in your own world.  Walking slowly beneath the gentle glow of a street lamp.  Speaking urgently in hushed voices.  Staring up at the stars and imagining where life will lead.
  Moments in youth that are so sweet, so simple and so free.

  I can pull a lot from a simple picture, and it did dominate my mind for the last half of my run.  My thoughts grew branches that took me back to my past and pushed me into the future.
  Our days spin forward each day.  Day moves into night, and night back into day.  It doesn't stop, that one is sure.  But those two kids had the right idea, and I was blessed to have stumbled across them.
  It doesn't take a lot to make a memory.  One part quiet, two parts intention, two sets of legs to carry you, one place to stop and embrace the time, one hand to share with a willing partner, two sets of eyes to see each other, to really SEE each other and confirm there is no other place you'd rather be.  
  A little effort equals priceless moments that are held on to forever!

  Happy Monday!  
         
  

1 comment:

  1. oh you hopeless romantic!!!
    you know how to get me!
    can i please have a copy of the new book... like NOW?!?!
    i'll proofread for you whatever you got.
    this post has got my heart a racin'!

    ReplyDelete