Thursday 2 August 2012

   Here we go….I’m not a fan of spiders.  I’m sure that’s got a laugh or an eye roll that needs no explanation from many of you.  I'm aware I've entered their domain when I'm in the garden.  I can handle them on the driveway where I’m not bothered and can happily step on or around them.  I can deal with them in the house, though they definitely have violated my space with their presence.  I absolutely draw the line and may experience a random overtaking of shrieks, howls, jumps, hops, and yes, the spastic dance, when I find the creeper on me.
   That said, I held a brave face and though my kids freaked out when they saw my uninvited friend, I prevailed with most of my dignity intact.
   Only hours before I was in a position to re-educate my boys on a lesson that needed expanding.  Their father and I have always tried to teach them to treat girls with respect.  That lesson applies to jumping on the trampoline, the playground, the soccer field, and pretty much everywhere you can imagine.
   When the boys were small it was easy to explain to them they needed to treat girls just so because they were fragile like flowers and more easily bruised.  Well, who would have thought that that one would come back to bite me!

   The TV is not usually on in our home during the day, but I’ve thrown that rule out the window so that the Olympics can run uninterrupted for its entirety.
   We were watching Judo of all things when the subject came up!  Little Bear asked, “Mom, if girls are fragile, how come they beat each other up in Judo?”

   GREAT question Little Bear!

    My first response was to laugh, isn’t that just typical.  Smart boy, was my second thought, ha!
   I proceeded to explain that girls were just as strong as boys, worked just as hard, and had every bit as much heart invested in everything they do.  Though I also made it clear that girls and boys were created very differently and to compare them would be very difficult, because ultimately we are not the same.
   It was a very random lesson learned over yogurt and apples but I think they understand why it’s different and somehow acceptable for girls in Judo to throw each other hard onto the mat and kick each other in the face, just as it is for boys to do the same. 

   Come to think of it, I’m sure I spoke my point more clearly to my 7 year old than I could ever repeat to you, but I’m hoping you’ve got the point!

   So back to the spider incident: Girls are strong, able to do great big things.  We can lift a crazy amount of weight, have the race of our lives, throw down with the meanest girl in town, smash a ball solidly into a small square of court, or create the most delicate and beautiful work of art with our hands.  Yes we can do all those extraordinary things and so many more.  We can even get that spider off of our arm ourselves without making a scene or instilling fear. 
   The thing is, and admitting it comes down to strength as well.  Just because we can do all these things ourselves doesn’t mean we always want to!  
   (I think I'll save that last bit for another day, just so I don't confuse them!) 
Enjoy watching all those strong women, and if you have the courage, take a quick moment to acknowledge the strong women in your life!
Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment