Thursday 27 February 2014

Shift the Blame/Random Bits of Ridiculousness

  So a few weeks ago my favorite "note-taking" pen died, and it occurred to me this morning, over smashed jalapeno and avocado smothered on toast with a runny egg, that the loss of said pen has been the downfall of my creativity (this is the blame shifting bit!)
  Remembering that loss I proceeded to dig through my desk drawer to find my "book-underlining" pencil, (because who doesn't specifically designate a pencil for such activity), when can you believe, I couldn't find that task oriented tool.
  A brief wave of panic lashed my body and I had the terrifying thought that if all of these writing tools had fallen on hard times, perhaps my "editing" pencil had suffered the same perilous fate.
  I know what you're thinking.
  No, really, I do. Believe me.
  So.  Filled with concern, I shuffled the pens/pencils which I am indifferent to in the pretty jar on my desk and saw that, phew, my "editing" pencil was precisely where it belonged.  
  There is nothing special about my "editing" pencil, just as there was nothing special about my "note-taking" pen or my "book-underlining" pencil (which I believe I tossed into my purse upon realizing my pen was about to mark its final page), other than that one important ingredient - LOVE.
  I am attached, and because I have been through likely several thousand emotional pages with this particular Toy Story character printed pencil, I have grown sentimental about it (though it resides currently, and I believe permanently, with many other random writing tools).
  Sidebar: my children know not to touch or even think about touching the tools that I love.  When they are in search of a pencil or pen, I steer them to a box of supplies that is all their own.  My precious is OFF LIMITS!  
  Okay, now I really know what you are thinking, and I am totally cool with that label.  Do you think I could write these ludicrous words and not think I am just a wee bit crazy myself?  Well, rest assured, I know I am 100% bonkers..... but you know the saying, do you not?  If not, I advise you go find that out for yourself!

  Oi.  Back to what I was trying to bring to light.
  I lost my creativity.  Well, not really, I just filled my time with distractions to avoid trying to sort it out.  
  Classic procrastinator move.  Classic lazy writer problems.
  It was blaming my pen/pencil situation and the ridiculousness of it all that I hope will be my final straw and the turning point to shutting down the distractions and actually focusing on finishing my project.
  Sidebar: there is no way I am going to give up my "editing" pencil and as soon as I motivate myself I will head over to the office supply store to replace my ill fated "note-taking" pen so that I can put my "underlining" pencil back where it belongs!

  It's a wonderful day out there!  Get out and enjoy it!  Stop procrastinating and start that thing that's been on your mind.  Sit yourself down and finish the never-ending project!  Paint the fence, wax the car, clean out that hidden room in the basement.
  Whatever it is you've been avoiding.  Do it.  No more excuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment