Friday 20 December 2013

Ahh, Friday, lovely Friday!

  Tomorrow boasts the title of Least Amount of Sunlight in the Year.  I'm not going to lie and tell you it doesn't matter, because, yes sirree, it definitely does.  I miss the warmth of the sunlight terribly.  I miss t-shirts, shorts, sock less feet, and hot summer runs.  
  But there is something magical about the winter season where I live.  Yes, it is cold, beyond frigid most days.  Yes, going outside without proper winter wear could kill me in minutes.... no exaggeration there, and yes, the hours of daylight are fleeting.
  But I see the blanket that sparkles beneath my feet.  I see my breath turning to ice as it leaves my lips.  I see the promise of a fresh start, the newness of a clean layer of snow, the wonder in the concept that there are no two snowflakes alike.
  WOW
  WOW
  WOW
  I'm speechless so often as I look out my picture window.  I don't always see everything around that has gone dormant, I don't see a lifeless existence.  I see rosy cheeks as they pass through the door.  I see an opportunity for hot chocolate and a comforting chat.  I feel the possibility of fun in this frozen wonderland; snow angels, ice forts, sliding down a hill as my stomach tumbles to catch itself, the joy of catching a fluffy flake on my tongue.  I feel something new waiting to spring to life on the horizon. 
  I love the seasons.  I really do.  I love that where I live there are four distinct and bold seasons.  I even love the cold.

Favorite Things

1~ no lunches to pack for two whole weeks!!
2~ choosing which recipe to make and set out for Santa .... (anticipating eating Santa's cookies)
3~ the rink at the side of our yard is almost ready.  My sweetheart has been working into the    
       deep hours of night to ready the surface for hours and hours of holiday fun.
4~ Christmas tunes!  Love them, both the traditional and the new.  I love that everywhere I go 
       these days, whether the grocery store, the coffee shop or the doctor's office, the old 
       familiar carole music plays!
5~ I love the glitter.  Maybe it's because my world is overflowing with boys, but I have never 
      wanted to wear sparkles more than I have in recent times, and what better season to 
      sparkle it up than Christmas.  Sequined skirt for Christmas Eve festivities?  Why  not!!
6~ chocolate; here, there, and everywhere!  I'm not usually one to cave at the invitation of 
       chocolate, but this year I seem to be all about it!  All I can say is thank goodness the season 
       is short, because I'm not sure how much  more I can take!
7~ it's the time of year to pick up the phone, send a letter, or take the time to catch up with 
       those people you don't see so often.  Time?  did I mention Time? I could also use an 
       infusion of funds to reach out to all the ones we love. 
8~ Candy cane, or peppermint hot chocolate.  Yep, I'm back to the chocolate! Yum. Seriously, 
       and again, not my normal thing!  I'm going to need a serious sugar detox in a week and a 
       half!

  Find your favorites and hold the ones you love tight in the next week.  Love is important.  It needs to be cherished and celebrated.  Love is why we celebrate Christmas.  
  Be thankful.  
  Share your love.      
  Slow it down and take a look around you.  It's not so hard to find the blessings, your favorite things, and the beauty around you.  If you can do that it's not so hard to find that what is so special at this time of year isn't the hustle and bustle to shove stuff under your tree, but rather it's the simple.  And the simple is all around us!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment