Friday 8 November 2013

Here's What I Know

   What comforts you when you're sick?  
   What speaks to you of warmth?  What somethings would qualify as TLC.
   What makes your grey skies turn to blue, and helps the sun to come out tomorrow?

   It's nearly 11:00 or 23:00 for those on a proper clock, and I can't sleep, I'm feeling like I need that warmth, need that TLC, like I need that go-to cure for the sick.
   I'm imagining homemade chicken pot pie-yum.  I'm smelling the warm, permeating aromas of roast chicken, maybe some butternut squash soup, or a warm coconut curry with just enough spicy heat to chase the scratchy-tickle in my throat, and the crackling in my ears far from even considering taking up residence within me.
   Those tasty, comfortable, wholesome-good eats sound perfect and like their own brand of medicine, and they are, trust me.  But the strange thing is when I feel under the weather, though I do consider myself to be a 'soup queen', the comfort I find comes in the form of three cups of boiled water and the tearing open of a packet to watch a yellow powder mingle and turn short noodles into my sick cure.
   What can I say?  We love what we love! And there is no reasoning away our love for the things that bring us comfort.
   So instead of filling up on the goodness of a piping hot bowl of the homemade minestrone I lovingly prepared yesterday, I'm thinking about tearing open a packet and soothing my throat with what works best for me-yellow noodles.

   I might also mention I have thrown on my designated sick-sweatshirt, my ratty slippers, and may break protocol and indulge in drifting off in front of a favorite movie.....
   I'm sure I'll find some way of letting you all know how I got on!  However, in the mean time, why don't you indulge me by taking a moment to think about what comforts you.
   What is your go-to cure?  What is the condition of your 'sick-sweatshirt'?  What do you do to find comfort when your day is grey and your throat is on fire?
   I'd love to hear about it, especially if this turns out to be the doozie I've been working so hard to avoid!
   
 Cheers to a weekend that chases the grey skies and sickness away!  

No comments:

Post a Comment