Monday 27 August 2012

Whoohohohoo! Good morning, Monday!

  So, how was it? Did you find yourself behind the wheel as I did? Did you escape your weekly grind, let your hair down and just drive?
  Maybe not, well you’ve nothing to fear! There’s still one last long weekend before the books officially close on another summer!
  For now just cozy up and let me tell you a short story (as dramatic as it may be). Perhaps it will lend a greater appreciation for this week’s feast for the ears.

  There were four people in our car this weekend. Each person with a very unique personality, each very different from the person opposite, in front of, or beside. Now how long would you guess the warm, excited, cohesive acceptance could last? Well it lasted and the only tense moments came when someone other than the driver tried to mess with the music selection.
  Does this happen with you? I am going to assume the role of driver for a moment and state: No one is allowed to mess with the music selection apart from the driver. It’s a perk of the job. Enough said.
  Usually it suits me fine; more often than not, I am the driver, which is the way I prefer it. But circumstances prevented it on this occasion, and I found myself relegated to the bench, forced to sit and watch the game rather than being in it, where making the tough choices becomes a pleasure. It was hard. Painful at times. But I prevailed.

  At first it was like being forced through detox. My ears were ringing, my temper flared, my head was pounding, and on occasion when a particular sound became too much to handle, I was forced to close my eyes and breathe. After a while, I gave in and chose to adapt, to alter my attitude and push through. Happily enough, though there was the occasional setback, the time flew by, and with only the rare need to skip ahead, I embraced the soundtrack that wasn’t of my choosing.
  I’m ok! Let me assure you, I made it through. My scars will heal, I will get back on the horse and ride another day…..

  I had a lot of time to think. Some journeys beg for a change of pace; change being the operative word. Some lend themselves to a different perspective, and further, some push you farther by asking you to give something old or new a visit, and to be perfectly honest, I’ve never been a fan of revisiting the past.
   Country music is not my favorite, but it can’t always be about me! Ha! I’m also forced to admit that sharing the musical controls in a giving, accepting, and generously-positive-attitude sort of way, made the drive better for everyone, including me.

  This week’s selection, however, for me, seems to defy all genre. I don’t think of it as country, I don’t hear it as country, which is weird because it obviously is. I’m simply aware that my walls fall, crashing to the ground, slowly being rebuilt in a new and interesting fashion.
  I love the Zac Brown Band. I think they are brilliant, both musically and lyrically. Their work makes me laugh, cry, ponder, and believe. I am equally compelled by them when I’m cooking, sitting back for a listen, or pushing myself through a run. I am an obvious and shameless admirer of their talents. My favorite tracks are Martin and Whatever It Is, oh and why not one more? As She‘s Walking Away.
 
  I survived the drive, the random flashbacks to years past, and guess what? I’m no worse for ware! I haven’t been converted to the point of trading in my mirror ball dress or 4 inch heels from last week in exchange for cowboy boots, wranglers, and horses. But I may just take a spin on the dance floor and show some folks that I do still have a two step dance ready to come alive in me….though it’s buried deep.

  Enjoy these fabulous tune, and don’t worry, I’ll be back soon with a beat that will get your feet moving in a more spastic fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment